On the 3rd of feb i took a few pictures of some terracotta warrior statues I bought from China. I’m hoping to make a nice item from them for my shop.
On the 4th I took some more pictures of my products wrapping, this time showing the inside too.
The 5th saw me realise I could fit into the skirt I had made, despite it being designed for children, and so I thought I’d model it to give an idea of how it looks on. Just a shame that I had bad lighting, no tripod and no one to take it for me. I’m not the best with timers.
On the 6th I saw what a week of no work would do for my hands as my nails and skin looked lovely for the first time in years! I really cannot wait to get a new job.
On the 7th I was in the north. I thought the trees in my mums’ garden looked pretty cool silhouetted against the darkening sky.
On Saturday the 8th I took Ashley to Blacktoft Sands where we saw lots of marsh harriers hunting.
Today I took pictures of the birds in my mums garden. There were a few blue tits and great tits, it’s just a shame they didn’t come closer.
My photography is definitely improving, but I still have a long way to go!
As promised here’s the tutorial for making a skirt from a top. I’m sorry it’s not the most detailed tutorial ever, i kept getting too engrossed in actually making the item and forgot to take as many pictures as i’d have liked, but for what I lack in images, i will try to make up in words. Luckily this is a very simple tutorial so you shouldn’t get too lost (hopefully). 🙂
As you can tell in the ‘before’ photos, this top was a pretty bad fit. Even my boyfriend agreed that it made me look pregnant (Such a charmer!). It was also rather uncomfortable around the arm holes. But i loved the fabric and so couldn’t just throw it away!
The first step was to unpick all the seams. I removed the straps and the band around the middle. This middle band also kept the top attached to the bottom which was useful as I only needed the bottom to make the skirt. I also removed the zip. I left the seams around the edges to save having to hem them later and wasting time and thread. I also left the seams down either side so the skirt was practically made already! (I did tell you this was very easy right?)
Luckily I happened to already have a zip that fitted the, now shorter, zip space.
So these are the only two parts I really needed. The bottom half of the top and a zip.
Next I used a zig zag stitch over the top edge of the skirt (where you’ve just unpicked) to help stop the fraying. For this part I had to use an overcasting foot, if your machine isn’t able to change feet (like my old one) or you don’t have an overcasting foot you will have to do this bit by hand.
Next you have to create a hem. I did this by folding the edge of the fabric over twice to give a nice clean finish and to also help against the material fraying again. At this point I also folded a little handmade label into the top ready to be stitched along with the hem. I ironed the folds before sewing just to make it easier. Unfortunately I found that this fabric was still a little uncooperative and the top of my skirt has come out a little wonky, something I am working on fixing at the moment (but again work has got in the way)
I actually did too rows of stitching just for a little extra strength.
Hopefully you haven’t touched the bottom of the shirt/skirt and so nothing needs doing to it. This means that all that’s left to do is insert the zip. Unfortunately I completely forgot to take any pictures of this part as I was far too excited about being able to sew my first zip with a machine. Again this part is one where you need a good sewing machine and a zipper foot or else you’ll have to sew it in my hand (i really do hate hand sewing, especially zips)
Tada! A simple skirt finished and ready to wear!
As I said before, the top is very uneven on mine as the fabric was rather difficult to work with. I am planning on neatening this up soon though and will post the results.
Till next time!